• FYI: The Fall River Propane Tailgate Party is at Braves Field from 5-7 p.m. with FREE hamburgers, chips & drinks. Join the Star Valley Medical Center Pre-game Show beginning at 5:30 online to get hyped for the contest.
• Halftime Entertainment: SVI Media broadcasts simultaneously on both Livestream (video) and on Swift 98.7 FM (audio) for every game. Because of this format, it is impossible for SVI to stream halftime entertainment during the live broadcast. However, the crew at SVI will continue to record halftime shows from the Brave Cadettes, the SVHS Cheerleaders, the Marching Braves and others and it will be uploaded to the SVI Livestream page immediately following the conclusion of the live broadcast. We thank you for your understanding in this matter.
It’s a game being touted as a potential 3A state championship preview, the #1 Star Valley Braves (2-0) host the #3 Torrington Trailblazers out of the 3A East on Friday night with a 6 p.m. kickoff. SVHS outscored Preston, Idaho 28-7 in the second half to claim their second win of the season after defeating Spring Creek, Nevada in Zero Week. The Blazers had no problem in Week One as they dismantled the Wheatland Bulldogs, 56-6.
This is the first regular season meeting between the two programs who have a long history of post-season play. The last meeting took place during the 2015 3A semifinals where the Braves picked up the win, 42-27 in Torrington. In a series that started back in 1961, the Blazers are still looking for their first win in Afton with a 0-5 record all-time. Their last trip to Star Valley High School was in the 2005 semifinals where Star Valley dominated in a 57-0 outing.
The two teams have a very strong history of competitive games and will both likely rely on their running abilities. Although Star Valley doubled up Powell 42-21 last year in Afton, the Braves have not won in Powell since upsetting the then undefeated Panthers in 2006. Powell went on to win the 3A state title that year while the Braves were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round by the Wheatland Bulldogs.
• Rolling In To 2017: The Blazers went (6-3) overall in 2016 which included a (4-1) record in the 3A East. They were upset by Green River in the quarterfinals, 27-21. Star Valley defended their 2015 3A state championship with another 3A title in 2016. The Braves have won eight straight games dating back to last season and have won 23 of their last 25 games.
Series History: Star Valley vs Torrington
First Game: 1961
Overall Series Record: Braves lead 9-2
In Afton: Braves lead 5-0
Last Meeting: Braves won 42-27 in Torrington (2015 3A Semi-finals)
• The Basics (* SVHS stats reflect stats from Week Zero. All other stats courtesy of Wyopreps.com)
Star Valley (2-0) vs Torrington (1-0)
QB: Breyden Bivens (THS) 8/9 143 yds 2TD/0Int – Payton Erickson (SVHS) 11/18 153 yds yards 0TD/0Int
RB: Bryan Lemmon (THS) 10 attempts for 118 yards, 2TD – Josh Dawson (SVHS) 38 attempts for 312 yards, 6TD
WR: Nathan Stitt (THS) 4 receptions for 88 yards, 2TD – Ronnie Kaye (SVHS) 6 receptions for 90 yards
Top 3 Defensive Points: (THS) Nathan Stitt, Jacob Wambolt, Cade Schwarzkopf – (SVHS) Josh Dawson, Tanner Larson, Wyatt Moore
• Week Five 3A Schedule (Rankings courtesy of Wyopreps.com Coaches & Media Poll)
Torrington @ Star Valley 6 p.m.
Riverton @ Green River 7 p.m.
Hot Springs, SD @ Douglas 6 p.m.
Buffalo @ Worland 7 p.m.
Cody @ Evanston 6 p.m.
Powell @ Jackson Hole 6 p.m.
Lander @ Glenrock 7 p.m.
Pinedale @ Cokeville (Watch LIVE on SVI-3)
Wheatland @ Rawlins 7 p.m.
Kemmerer @ Lyman (Watch LIVE on SVI-2)
Natrona @ Sheridan 7 p.m.
Thunder Basin @ Cheyenne East 7 p.m.
Kelly Walsh @ Cheyenne South 6 p.m.
Cheyenne Central @ Rock Springs 6 p.m.
Laramie @ Gillette 7 p.m.
• The Crimson Corner
- SVHS Golf – The teams are at the 3A West Regionals in Cody this Friday & Saturday. Tristian Hicks and Jared Hale have consistently led the boys team while the trio of Addalee Isaacson, Kaylee Merritt and Kailee Johnson will team with Chloe Bassett to try and win the girls side. Stiff competition should come from both Lander Valley teams as well as the host teams from Cody.
- SVHS Cross-Country – The distance posse will be in Idaho Falls on Friday afternoon/evening where they should see stiff competition from some of the top teams and talent in the Gem State.
- SVHS Volleyball – The entire program had a marathon effort in Idaho Falls on Thursday evening. The freshman team fell to the Tigers 2-3 (25-16, 24-26, 23-25, 25-14, 12-15). The junior varsity won 3-2 (19-25, 25-13, 24-26, 25-15, 15-11). Finally the varsity also won in five games, 3-2 (23-25, 25-17, 22-25, 25-23, 15-13) – Special thanks to coach Marci Johnson for her help with the scores.
- SVHS Football – The freshman team lost 53-0 to Sky View High School out of Smithfield, Utah on Wednesday. The JV game with Rock Springs was cancelled.